Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittney81895

Reaction score
Made an all grin weizen and I am not happy with the final product. I think temps were a bit too low causing the abv to be way too low, 3.5%. Instead of dumping it I thought I would experiment. I was think of adding something to the secondary like dry hopping for aroma. Is there a hops that would work with this style beer? Could I add a flavor extract that might turn out to be a decent drinkable beer? Thanks!

If a low attenuation were truly due to low fermentation temperatures, you could simply warm the beer up and the yeast will finish. I suspect your poor attenuation is due to other factors (inaccurate measurements, poor efficiency, incomplete conversion, mashing too high, recipe composition, low-attenuating yeast strain). Care to share your recipe and process?

Recipe all grain biab
5.6 lbs continental Pilsener malt
5.6 lbs wheat malt
Hallertau hops .8 oz 60 mins
Safale yeast s-04

Heated 4 gallons of water to 165 degrees
Added grains for 90 mins 155 degrees
Added hops for 60 mins
Cooled to 70 degrees
Siphoned to carboy topped off to 5 gallons (should have checked gravity at this point)
OG was low at 1.036 (should have been 1.050
Boiled about 3/4 of a pound of light dme
Lhbs is quite a distance so I used what I had, should have added a couple of lbs of sugar too :(
Added yeast
Fermented at 67 degrees for 1 week - explosive fermentation lasted about 3 days
Gravity reading was 1.008 it is now in secondary, has a great color and the flavor is not bad, drinkable but about 3.5-3.9% abv (Almost tastes watered down) target was 5%

Any suggestions?

A few thoughts:

1. The DME you added raised the OG to about 1.043; your ABV is closer to 4.5% as a result.

2. With the beer in secondary, it is way too early to panic regarding mild flavor. After it is bottled and carbonated, it will taste a lot more "lively".

3. Next time - Instead of topping up to 5 gallons using plain water, heat up a second pot with the requisite amount of water, and dunk the grain bag in that. Give it a good stir and soak. I think you are missing out on a lot of sugars in the grains.

4. RDWHAHB. Leave this recipe as is, enjoy it ( it will get better); and make your plans for the next batch.

Cheers!

agreeing with @frazier with the sparge dunk, also, what kind of crush are you getting? you could even ask your lhbs to double mill it if needed.

A few thoughts:

1. The DME you added raised the OG to about 1.043; your ABV is closer to 4.5% as a result.

2. With the beer in secondary, it is way too early to panic regarding mild flavor. After it is bottled and carbonated, it will taste a lot more "lively".

3. Next time - Instead of topping up to 5 gallons using plain water, heat up a second pot with the requisite amount of water, and dunk the grain bag in that. Give it a good stir and soak. I think you are missing out on a lot of sugars in the grains.

4. RDWHAHB. Leave this recipe as is, enjoy it ( it will get better); and make your plans for the next batch.

Cheers!

Thanks! I was going to try adding fruit and seeing what comes of it, but maybe I will just leave it a bit longer in secondary and see what comes of it!

Latest posts

Back