Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcjmil

Reaction score
I need more aroma!!

Can I just dry hop (pellets) straight away as soon as wort is transferred to the primary, or should I let the yeast do its thing and dry hop after beer has been transferred to the carboy?

I would wait until fermentation is done. The CO2 evolved will drive off a lot of the aroma if you throw the hops in right away.

Do you plan on a secondary? Dry hop after racking, some say boil a "hop tea" in a pint of water for 5 mins, or use a sterilized grain bag. I always just tossed in the amount of pellets I wanted, no complaints yet

Beerrific said:
I would wait until fermentation is done. The CO2 evolved will drive off a lot of the aroma if you throw the hops in right away.

Agreed. Dry hop in your secondary. Pellets are fine. just be careful racking. You can also use a hop bag in the secondary if you are concerned with sediment and loss.

IMHO dry hopping using plugs is the way to fly but i guess there is no reason you cant use pellets. Just do it after you have racked !

Back