Dry hopping with whole hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger5150

Reaction score
Usually this site answers all my questions but this one I have not found a definitive answer to.

Dry hopping in my primary fermenter--6.5 gallon carboy--With whole hops with no grain bag. I use 2-3oz....It just piles on top of my beer...the bottom layer is saturated but the majority piles on top and remains dry. Obviously I am not getting all the hoppy goodness from my hops since the majority is piled on top.

Is there anything I can do without oxygenating my liquid gold ?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

:mug:

Sanitize something that will fit, and give some gentle pokes. Alternately, a mild bump to the carboy won't hurt either. In my experience it's not as easy to oxygenate your beer as people think (just don't pick it up and shake the begezuss out of it!). Plus, since it's in your primary, there is a nice layer of CO2 over your beer, protecting it from the air outside the carboy (never mind the airlock) . So I often will give a nice bump to the carboy to settle hops, pellet or whole. No worries!!

Back