dry hopping with simcoe and cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dry hopped an IPA with simcoe pellets. I notice a bit of pine, not so much on the citrus. However, the main thing I notice is that "catty" character. People say it's like a cat urine quality. To me it's something more like kitty liter. Even fresh kitty liter has the same quality, so I'm not sure it's really urine.

Honestly, that description makes it sound undrinkable, but I think it's quite good in the beer. It also seems to have faded a bit with time.

I should also clarify. I don't have my notes, but my dry hop with Simcoe was made up of half Centenial. I THINK it was Centenial. I'd really have to look back at my logs. Anyway, seems like it might work best along with a supporting hop.

I'm about to dry hop my Imperial Red with Simcoe, Cascade and Centennial. I've heard Simcoe described as Cascade on steroids, so Those will be similar. I have also found that if you use large amounts of Simcoe with nothing else to balance it, it will be catty like others have mentioned, but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you're looking for a more piney smell, I think Chinook may be something to try. My India Brown contains Simcoe and Amarillo and it is wonderful!

the reason i picked simcoe was cause alot of ipa's i love use it in late additions and dry hopping. none of which i really can detect a "cat" scent from. maybe that catty **** comes from overkill on the simcoe and not enough variation. either way, ive heard its a great hop and ill be finding out what i got when i bottle on saturday..

the reason i picked simcoe was cause alot of ipa's i love use it in late additions and dry hopping. none of which i really can detect a "cat" scent from. maybe that catty **** comes from overkill on the simcoe and not enough variation. either way, ive heard its a great hop and ill be finding out what i got when i bottle on saturday..

how about if I replace the term cat pea with kind bud. Does that descriptor work better.

how about if I replace the term cat pea with kind bud. Does that descriptor work better.

haha niceeee, ive heard that about simcoe as well. my sister came over when i was steeping my bittering columbus and thought we were smokin nugs. i think ill do a dry hop w/ those next time as well..

I was thinking of using Simcoe and Willamette to DH my IPA next weekend. I love the smell of Simcoe, but I don't smell cat pee at all. The people that are smelling this, are you smelling it from fresh hops, or in the smell of your beer? After using them for dryhopping?

I was thinking of using Simcoe and Willamette to DH my IPA next weekend. I love the smell of Simcoe, but I don't smell cat pee at all. The people that are smelling this, are you smelling it from fresh hops, or in the smell of your beer? After using them for dryhopping?

In the beer and it is the same character that Sauv Blanc normally has. Black currant leaf is a better, and less vulgar, descriptor.

In the beer and it is the same character that Sauv Blanc normally has. Black currant leaf is a better, and less vulgar, descriptor.

Hmmmm....make's me rethink my using it for dryhopping. Can anyone point to a specific bottle I could go buy that they get this smell from? I'd like to take a taste and a whiff to judge for myself. Maybe I'll just stick to the Willamette's for my DH.

I would compare the smell more to a bag of weed than cat piss. Of course all you have to do is smell the bag of hops to to pick up on it. It's a potent smell but I like it.

Back