Dry hopping with rhubarb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmeier45

Reaction score
Anyone try dry hopping with rhubarb? I was thinking of maybe doing a gallon of my next IIPA, then another gallon with jalapenos as well.

Figured my IIPA's are already bitter, might as well add some tartness and a little spice.

i think you have to be careful with bitter and tart. i've never tried what your mentioning, but from what i've read the two can clash. but its really about what you like. i would suggest trying a little rhubarb juice or something in a glass of ipa first to see if you like it before you try on a larger scale.

on the other hand i have heard that ipa's go well with spicey. good luck! sounds interesting.

I've done rhubarb in a berliner weisse. Makes a huge mess in the fermenter.

It added a little color. I thought it added more vegetal notes than tartness, which may have been because it was in an already tart beer.

I've had a couple jalepeno APAs, but haven't brewed one myself. An IIPA could be interesting if done well.

Having made a killer Rhubarb fruit beer, I know you want to use a clean ale strain and low IBU pale ale style beer. I have made it with a Irish Red and there was too much going on to make a good beer. The key to making a Rhubarb fruit beer is back sweetening to cut the tartness and to get the rhubarb to blossom in flavor and aroma. Maybe your goal is to just add a little aroma, then I would do just an tinsure\extract of rhubarb and add that. there is considerable mess and waste created by adding the Rhubarb to the secondary.

Back