Dry hopping with peppers = botulism spores?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I'm just curious, I roasted a bunch of jalapeno peppers in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes then dumped them into my beer. They were in there for about a week. I am now curious though, could spores grow from the peppers that were in the beer?

Why are you concerned about botulism spores? Would you have eaten the peppers without roasting them or putting them in your beer?

As stated, with the roasting and alcohol you are extremely unlikely to have anything to worry about.

Botulism spore growth is inhibited by acid, oxygen, alcohol, and competing microorganisms (amongst other factors). You have three of those four (and hopefully only three) in your beer, so you're good. There's no reason to worry.

To be a little more specific, pH levels below 4.6 and alcohol levels of 4-5% and above greatly reduce risk. Other factors support suppression of botulism spores and toxins. If you want more specific data, I'm sure I can find it. Just let me know. I don't think it's worth any of your time worrying about, though.

Botulism spore growth is inhibited by acid, oxygen, alcohol, and competing microorganisms (amongst other factors). You have three of those four (and hopefully only three) in your beer, so you're good. There's no reason to worry.

To be a little more specific, pH levels below 4.6 and alcohol levels of 4-5% and above greatly reduce risk. Other factors support suppression of botulism spores and toxins. If you want more specific data, I'm sure I can find it. Just let me know. I don't think it's worth any of your time worrying about, though.

Thanks for the info! I am new to canning and was reading about low acidic foods and Botulism. Then I started thinking about the jalapenos in my beer. Peppers are a low acidic vegetable but I didn't realize that fermented beer is actually fairly acidic.

Back