dry hopping with pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenShowerGladiator

Reaction score
i was going to dry hop my rye IPA today. an ounce of Centennial and .5 oz of Amarillo. do i boil my grain bag before adding the hops and dropping it in there or is there some other way of going about this?

Most people just toss them in. If I recall, John Palmer's How to Brew says infection from dry hopping "Just doesn't happen"

Plus you don't want to get rid of the aroma you're trying to add by boiling it away first.

I dry hop with pellets all the time. What I do is just throw them in the fermenter. If you really want to use a bag, a quick dunk in starsan or boiling would be just fine.

You could do that, or clean and sanitize it. You'll also want some marbles or something to weigh down thee bag. I usually just their them in loose, and cold crash to get them to drop, or if you give it a gentle swirl over the week or so that you dry hop, they should eventually drop out...but be very careful you don't oxidize your IPA by splashing too much.

I'm getting ready to brew a red rye ipa today! I'm thinking Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe :)

Erroneous said:
Most people just toss them in. If I recall, John Palmer's How to Brew says infection from dry hopping "Just doesn't happen"

Plus you don't want to get rid of the aroma you're trying to add by boiling it away first.

He was talking about the bag, not the hops. I thought that at first also.

i've always boiled my grain bag before but always wondered if just throwing the hops in by themselves would be alright. good to know. i'm guessing they'll just sink to the bottom and not be a problem come bottling time?

He was talking about the bag, not the hops. I thought that at first also.

I see. In that case, sanitize the bag whatever way you prefer. If there are tiny particles you can't get out, boiling would probably be best though. Or just go cammando.

Back