Dry hopping with pellet hops in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I really do like the effects of dry hopping in a keg, but so far I've been doing it only with whole hops, using nylon paint strainer bags to keep them from clogging the keg. How do I do it with pellet hops? The nylon bags I use are not fine enough to keep the pellets from getting into the nooks and crannies of the keg. Should I use a muslin bag? Nylon stockings? If yes, what kind? Long, short or it doesn't matter?

You can dump them in and then do a cold crash when done. However I prefer the stocking method. I only use pellets when I can't find leaf in what I need.

I use these little super fine mesh bags that they sell at the LHBS. They have a drawstring at the top and work great.

I use 1 gal paint strainer bags from lowes 2 for 1.99. They work great. I just dip the bag in starsan throw in the pellets when the keg is filled and carb as normal.

So now for arguments sake, let's just say a person put 3 oz of pellet hops in two herb balls and threw them in their keg; what should they expect besides the first beer being hop milk?

I use a nylon stocking cut to about 8-10 inches and tie up with a short piece of dental floss hung on the outside of the keg by putting the dental floss between the lid and large 0 ring.

Back