Dry Hopping with Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
I did an Mini Mash "APA" using this recipe:

2.25# 2 Row Base Malt
1.00# Crystal Malt 40L
Mashed at 155F
5# Extra Pale LME
Added @ 30 mina
1 OZ Magnum Pellets @ 60 mins
1 OZ Cascade Pellets @ 15 mins
1 OZ Hallertau Pellets @ 5 mins

And am considering a two week dry hop with two ounces of Cascade Leaves. Too much?

It isn't too much to me. Tonight I will be dry hopping 2 oz of Cascade to an APA I am fermenting. I wait two days after moving to the secondary and add the dry hops. I then hold them in the secondary until I am ready to rack. I always use whole hops. I end up with a pretty hoppy tasting/smelling brew. I have never had complaints. The only thing that I would note is that if I use two oz I like to secondary in a 6 gal carboy. In the past I have had some brews where the addition of the dry hop in a 5 gal caused a substantial release of CO2 and I ended up having to put a blow off tube on the secondary. I went to the 6 gal and have never had the problem. I have had a lot of CO2 production but never so much that it was blowing out of the top of the carboy and causing me to switch back to the blow off.

2oz of Cascade too much? Nah.... 2oz is about the smallest amount I dry-hop anymore. Even if the recipe calls for less.....

I always dry hop now with 2oz, but for only 1 week. Never tried two weeks but:
A: I ferment in a plastic bucket, dont keep it in there any longer than I have too.
B: Have heard you may get Vegetable flavours if you dry hop too long (the lower end indicates 2 weeks +).

We dry hopped a 8 gallon batch with 2.5oz of whole leaf cascade for 2 weeks and the beer was great! No vegetable flavors at all.

I recommend dry hopping with more hops for less time. 2oz sounds good. Look for 5-7 days of contact time. Helps keep away any grassy flavors

I would also agree that the idea of dry hopping for 7-10 days would be good. I would shoot for 10 days, a happy medium. I don't think you'll lose any effect with that length, and you certainly won't run any risk of off flavors unless you exceed 2 weeks.

I always dry hop now with 2oz, but for only 1 week. Never tried two weeks but:
A: I ferment in a plastic bucket, dont keep it in there any longer than I have too.
B: Have heard you may get Vegetable flavours if you dry hop too long (the lower end indicates 2 weeks +).

I have never had any vegie flavor from a two week dry hop. I also hear that Sam Adams dry hops their Boston Lager for three weeks. I find that pretty amazing just because, if I understand the commercial lager process, that seems like they would be dry hopping through out the entire lager.

Im not saying you WILL get those flavours after two weeks, just from what Ive read about dry hopping everyone (much like above) has always recommended less than 2 weeks as that could happen.

Im guessing thats to err on the safe side, 2 weeks might actually be 2 months etc. Like the expiry date on milk, still good after a week if you treat it well :p

I've always heard you are less likely to get that grassy flavor if youre using whole leaf hops instead of pellets.

Back