Dry Hopping with Bulk Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I bought my hops in 8 ounce bags, and I need 2 ounces for an upcoming dry hop. I already used part of the hops, and I'm wondering if anyone has a good technique for weighing out the dry hops from a bulk package. Do those of you who do that sanitize the container you are weighing in? If so, I would think the hops would tend to stick to the sanitizer liquid and you would leave some hops behind.

The best I can think of is to sanitize my hops container, weigh the hops, and then add some of the beer to the container. Then dump the beer with the hops into the fermenter. Another idea I had was to weigh out more hops than I need in the sanitized container and then just dump them into the fermenter, leaving some behind.

Thoughts?

Weighing hops. well 9-11 pennies, depending on the year, equals one ounce.

And I dont worry to much about sanitizing my dry hops, The one time I did worry about it I boiled a cup of water and just dropped the hops in for 30 seconds then dumped it all into the fermenter.

Just weigh them out and throw them in. You're beer has a certain percentage of alcohol by the time you dryhop, making it much less susceptible to contamination than non-fermented wort. Hops also have some antiseptic properties. If you use a hop bag, or another container, I would boil it. But I wouldn't worry about loose hops being contaminated by the weighing container.

A clean bowl from the dishwasher is all I bother with. If you are really paranoid about it, just weigh them into a new plastic bag. I would bet it is very rare to get an infection from dry hops.

I use paper muffin tin liners:

85-31520.jpg

I figure they are "clean enough".

I reach into the bulk whole cone hop supply with my bare hands, take out a few fist fulls, and jam them into the secondary carboy through a funnel with a wooden spoon handle. Never had an issue. Animal style.

Back