Dry hopping - When?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmith1611

Reaction score
When dry hopping in secondary do you tend to let the beer settle for a few days before dry hopping or dry hop strait away? Does dry hopping make for a cloudier beer in secondary?

You can dry hop in primary as well. Just be sure either way that the beer has reached a stable FG first. Letting it settle out clear or slightly misty would help too. The lupulin oils can coat to the settling yeast & be lost. 1 week to 10 days is the norm.

mikesmith1611 said:
How long did it take to clear after that? Did the hops sink or float?

My hops are nicely soaked and still floating . they've been in there for about 4 days.

mikesmith1611 said:
Is your beer cloudier thab it would be without hops?

No..actually when I racked into my secondary the beer was a nice color ...minor cloud to it. While hops don't break into chunks or foam into hop residue like the pellets. They just sit there like and bathe. I checked it today to replace my airlock. I pushed some around and the beer looks great.

Sounds promising, doing my first dry hop tomorrow when i rack over. Having tasted the beer its quite hoppy already and was in two minds whether to dry hop or not, how much will 2oz of dry hopping change the beer ?

mikesmith1611 said:
Sounds promising, doing my first dry hop tomorrow when i rack over. Having tasted the beer its quite hoppy already and was in two minds whether to dry hop or not, how much will 2oz of dry hopping change the beer ?

Depends on the hops you use. I've been doing a ton of research since I first started. Also depends on how long you leave them in. 2 ounces is a good amount. Most of your dry hopping will attribute to smell and some to flavor. Perhaps someone with more experience can give more specific details.... Also when you syphon make sure the end of the tube is flat at the bottom of the bucket. Makes for a good swirl and moves the hops around a bit. Good luck. Let me know how it comes out!

I like to dry hop with the same kind I used in the boil. That way,I get good flavor & aroma. I dry hop for 1 week,& get plenty of nose.:mug:

IMO dry hopping has it's maximum effect if done for 7-10 days and just before it's bottled or kegged. If you dry hop for too long or too early, a lot of the aroma and flavor will fade. I usually leave my beers in the primary for 4 weeks, so after 3 weeks I'll add my dry hops, and then keg it a week later. Dry hopping can add some particulates to the beer and reduce clarity, but the effect should be minimal, and shouldn't ever result in a "cloudy" beer.

i just put 2 oz. of falconers flight in the primary (4th week) one more
week to go i can't wait.... :)

I love hop combos for dry hopping to increase the complexity of the nose. I recently did an IPA with centennial, CTZ, and citra. Came out awesome. 10 days is perfect. Cloudy beer is expected for dry hopped versions, so don't worry about it.

Back