Dry "Hopping" w/ Fresh Basil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua1987

Reaction score
I have a simple wheat beer bubbling away right now in the primary, used Wyeast 1010...was considering adding some fresh basil leaves to the secondary in a few days .once I rack it. I have done something similar w/ int leaves before in a Kolsch and it added some nice notes to cold beers. Any suggestions how to do this with a little more direction as opposed to just racking on top of? I feel like I lucked out with the mint

I would think if you crushed the basil up a little and racked on top of it you would be fine because it would like sink after a short soak. If you're worried about it floating excessively long, put it in a cheesecloth bag with a marble.

I would think if you crushed the basil up a little and racked on top of it you would be fine because it would like sink after a short soak. If you're worried about it floating excessively long, put it in a cheesecloth bag with a marble.

yeah, crush it or make a chiffonade of it (slice up very thin).

A buddy of mine makes a basil pale ale that uses the basil blossoms and it is awesme. If you grow your own herbs, wait until it bolts and then use that in dry hop.

Latest posts

Back