Quantcast

Dry "Hopping" w/ Fresh Basil

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Joshua1987

Reaction score
I have a simple wheat beer bubbling away right now in the primary, used Wyeast 1010...was considering adding some fresh basil leaves to the secondary in a few days .once I rack it. I have done something similar w/ int leaves before in a Kolsch and it added some nice notes to cold beers. Any suggestions how to do this with a little more direction as opposed to just racking on top of? I feel like I lucked out with the mint

TastySalmon

Reaction score
I would think if you crushed the basil up a little and racked on top of it you would be fine because it would like sink after a short soak. If you're worried about it floating excessively long, put it in a cheesecloth bag with a marble.

TimpanogosSlim

Reaction score
I would think if you crushed the basil up a little and racked on top of it you would be fine because it would like sink after a short soak. If you're worried about it floating excessively long, put it in a cheesecloth bag with a marble.
yeah, crush it or make a chiffonade of it (slice up very thin).

MrOH

Reaction score
A buddy of mine makes a basil pale ale that uses the basil blossoms and it is awesme. If you grow your own herbs, wait until it bolts and then use that in dry hop.