Dry hopping under pressure without spending a fortune

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryMc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Kegmenter Fermentation Keg - 7.6 gal. | MoreBeer and want to dry hop without releasing the co2. I bought food safe KORE Sous Vide Weighted Magnets listed on Amazon and a large stainless steel Tea Ball Infuser. Is it safe to use superglue to attach the magnets to the infuser I wonder? I'll probably use kitchen twine.

For the outside magnet I'll use some very strong earth magnets I have laying around. They are rated at 110 lbs so I'm thinking the magnetic field should make it through the wall of the keg to hold the hops in place until I'm ready to drop them. By the time the fermentation is complete the hops will have been in the brew long enough. I'll cold crash then close transfer to my serving keg.

I'm new at this, please feel free to give me advice because I have no idea if this will work the way I think it will.

Homebrew supply stores sell these 3.5 inch hop baskets and you could attach magnet to the chain without having to use glue. I have neodynium magnets that have a hole in the center so you could attach the chain through that.
1646051920964.png

The silicone-coated magnets are a good idea. I would not put an uncoated rate-earth magnet into beer: toxicology of neodymium is more or less unknown.

Superglue is not food safe. You can get food safe epoxies, which is probably the way to go. Not sure of the adhesion you’ll get on the silicone coating, though.

Can you fit one of your magnets in the hop basket and still leave room for hops? That would avoid lots of problems.

I’ve considered using 400-series stainless on the inside, attached to one of those baskets.Haven’t gotten around to it yet, though.

@AlexKay I don't know why I hadn't thought to try putting the Sous Vide Weighted Magnets inside the Infuser. Doh!

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes...

Back