Dry Hopping, to wait or not to wait

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I might have a scheduling issue, or at least I might need to stretch my schedule a bit.

I have a local homebrewing competition on February 20th 2016 for an american pale ale.

I don't have a lot of time over the holidays, so I brewed the beer on sunday 12/13.

My question is: should I wait until mid january to dry hop it and then keg it? I'm worried that the hop aroma will fade by late Feb if I dry hop it around Christmas, or do you guys think it will still be at peak flavor by late Feb if I follow my usual dryhop schedule and put them in after the krausen drops?

m00ps

Reaction score
I would just keg it up. The hop aroma will stay longer in a purged keg than individual bottles IME

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would just keg it up. The hop aroma will stay longer in a purged keg than individual bottles IME
And I'd add that you could dry hop in the keg a week or so before you have to bottle for the competition. If you want to get real OCD, do a direct transfer into a second purged keg after the dry hop and let it settle for a couple of days before bottling.

OP
TheMadKing

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I like that second idea, so I'll just keg it up and monitor it and then throw in the hops a bit later on