Dry hopping techniques (Noob question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Sorry for the noob question

I was wondering about double dry hopping in a NEIPA

Here's what I was gonna do.

1st dry hop at high Krausen (3-4 days into fermentation)
2nd dry hop about 5-7 days later for about 5 days before bottling/keg

Im using hop pellets. Should I just dump them in> use a bag? I don't need to remove the first round of hops right? How do I avoid any oxidation when adding hops? When I cold crash they should all fall anyways right? So I would just siphon above.

Hey Patrick, no noob questions around here man . It's how we learn to brew and brew better. I can give you my protocol on dry hopping. Some will have other ways they do it . Experiment and find a way that suits you best. On NEIPAs , I dry hop on day 2-3 of fermentation. Then I dry hop again 3-5 days before packaging.

I also use bags when dry hopping because I don't cold crash . You will hear that the hops will all settle down to the bottom . You will also hear my poppets are clogged , my line got clogged ect..... if you keg then you have co2 .

Everytime I dry hop I purge with co2 and try and flush any o2 out . If your not kegging and dont have access to co2 your ability to keep o2 out is gonna be tough . I personally wouldn't brew IPAs or NEIPAs if I had to bottle . However if I did , I would be drinking very quickly. Best of luck

Hey Patrick, no noob questions around here man . It's how we learn to brew and brew better. I can give you my protocol on dry hopping. Some will have other ways they do it . Experiment and find a way that suits you best. On NEIPAs , I dry hop on day 2-3 of fermentation. Then I dry hop again 3-5 days before packaging.

I also use bags when dry hopping because I don't cold crash . You will hear that the hops will all settle down to the bottom . You will also hear my poppets are clogged , my line got clogged ect..... if you keg then you have co2 .

Everytime I dry hop I purge with co2 and try and flush any o2 out . If your not kegging and dont have access to co2 your ability to keep o2 out is gonna be tough . I personally wouldn't brew IPAs or NEIPAs if I had to bottle . However if I did , I would be drinking very quickly. Best of luck

Thanks for the info! I will be kegging! I brewed this batch Saturday night and fermentation took off pretty fast however when I checked this morning it looks like the krausen had fallen already not sure if that bad or not? It’s is a 1 gallon batch. Temp has been around 67-68F

Hey everyone! Sorry for the noob question

I was wondering about double dry hopping in a NEIPA

Here's what I was gonna do.

1st dry hop at high Krausen (3-4 days into fermentation)
2nd dry hop about 5-7 days later for about 5 days before bottling/keg

Im using hop pellets. Should I just dump them in> use a bag? I don't need to remove the first round of hops right? How do I avoid any oxidation when adding hops? When I cold crash they should all fall anyways right? So I would just siphon above.

Can't help with the timing, but I will say that I bag ALL of my hops....if they are not going into the boil, then I soak the bag in sanitizer for a few minutes and wring it out prior to putting the hops in.....I hate dealing with all the sediment and bagging helps A LOT......

Back