Dry hopping & secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brienmt

Reaction score
New to home brew. Planning for my third batch and would like to do an IPA. I’ve been reading some about “dry hopping” and “secondary fermentation”. First 2 batchs were wheat beers and straight forward. Hops added at different times during the boil, cool, pitch, ferment, and wait. I am assuming dry hopping and secondary fermentation I’ve read about with IPA recipes is simply adding hops after boil and then sometime into fermentation cycle called (secondary fermentation)?
can someone clarify?

The idea of "secondary fermentation" is that after the very active primary fementation, the beer is transferred to a second fermentation vessel to finish fermenting and to settle and clarify. This transfer gets the beer off the trub, hops particles, and yeast that has already settled.

To say the least, this is not a real popular idea now. Some think it is at best unnecessary and at worst some sort of plot to sell fermentation pails and dangerous, glass carboys and will allow oxygen and icky infections into your beer. You will probably get some advice about doing secondary fermentation.

I've been brewing since 1994. 268 of my 271 ales went through a secondary fermentation. They survived just fine. The last three I've been trying out not doing a secondary. Two of these three have reached the the pint glass. They taste fine, but no better than previous brews. They are less clear than I'm used to, and there's lots more stuff in the bottom of the bottles. I'm going to try a couple more times, but so far I'm ready to go back to doing my secondary.

I only dry hopped one time. It did add hop aroma, but I didn't feel it was worth the bother. (I use glass carboys for my secondary.) I have plans to use a hop tea in place of dry hopping on my next IPA, but I've never done it before and can't offer advice on it.

Last edited:
D.B.Moody is right about secondary vessels falling out of favor. I started brewing when racking your beer to a secondary was standard practice for all beers, so I did it for years. I started skipping it earlier this year and have found my beers to be clearer. I dry hop in most batches, and I haven't had any more issues with sediment than I used to when I used secondary vessels. Obviously YMMV, as different people all seem to have different experiences. I've stuck with leaving beer in the primary fermenter until kegging because it's easier and it means less oxygen in the beer.

You should also note that some people use "secondary fermentation" differently. Typically, it just refers to moving the beer off the yeast to a secondary fermenter to condition. It's a misnomer because there really isn't another fermentation cycle going on; the yeast is just cleaning things up, if anything. But sometimes people use "secondary fermentation" to mean literally another fermentation cycle, like when you add fruit to a beer after active fermentation has ended. The sugar in the fruit will kick up another round of fermentation. Technically, using sugar to carbonate in a bottle does the same thing. That said, it's safe to assume that most people are talking about a second fermenter.

On dry hopping, it's just the process of throwing hops into the beer after active fermentation has finished (and for some beers, during active fermentation, but since you're starting out, only do that if a recipe calls for it specifically). You get more aroma and some flavor from doing this. I really like it! I usually dry hop for about five to seven days because I throw the pellets in and wait for them to drop to the bottom. Some folks prefer to dry hop only for three days or less out of fear of the hops starting to taste grassy or vegetal, though I've never had an issue.

I would just dry hop in your primary vessel. You don’t have to worry about any negative effects of leaving the beer on the yeast cake for the short amount of time it takes to dry hop (I do 5-6 days).

Back