Dry hopping sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
When dry hopping is there any need or method for sanitizing the hops? I have 1/2oz to put into my secondary, but the other 1/2oz went into the boil (with the other 4oz) , so I have an open bag. Would it hurt to put them in boiled water or even some starsan? I'd use just enough water to cover and pour the whole thing in.

I followed the recipe, but I may have been better off putting the whole oz into the secondary.

I have always just dumped mine in the secondary without worry of sanitation. I have never had any problems. I make sure any opened hop packages are sealed thoroughly if I am going to store them.

Keep in mind, one of the main reasons hops were originally added to beer was their preservative characteristics.

Same here. I just dump them in and I've never had a problem.

HopHedIPAdryHoppics001.jpg

HopHedIPAdryHoppics002.jpg

the theory is that the alcohol in the wert has enough power to kill all the beasties that could be hiding on the hops. i think a search would benifit.

The main point of hops in beer is as a preservative. Hops have natural antimicrobial properties...no need to worry about hops.

I wouldn't worry about sanitizing them. For sure don't boil them, as that will start to drive off aroma. If I felt the need to sanitize my hops I'd probably just try to soak them in a bit of vodka, and dump the whole thing in the fermenter.

Back