Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
I know there are many opinions on dry hopping and i'm hoping to get a few of them.

I have a citra APA that i am currently dry hopping for 3 days with 1 oz of citra. Is there any point or advantage in adding another 1 oz of citra and waiting another three days? Will that add more hop aroma? Is that the exact same thing as adding 2 oz of citra for 3 days?

Thanks!

With that small amount I think the double dry hop technique would have little effect versus throwing in the 2oz at once.

It becomes more important with lots of hop matter due to surface area exposure for extraction.

With that small amount I think the double dry hop technique would have little effect versus throwing in the 2oz at once.

It becomes more important with lots of hop matter due to surface area exposure for extraction.
I agree with khillian. Bung it all in at once. Two hop bags might help--an oz in each, OR throw them all in loose.

Agree on adding that all at once. If you were doing 4+ oz of dryhop I'd do in 2 batches as you get better aroma with multiple additions at that point.

Agree on adding that all at once. If you were doing 4+ oz of dryhop I'd do in 2 batches as you get better aroma with multiple additions at that point.

Why? I've never understood why there should be any benefit with multiple additions.

isn't a surface area thing? there is a point of adding a large amount of hops that most of the hops aren't in contact with the beer?

Back