Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustGoFast

Reaction score
I have a question on dry hopping.
So I'm doing a gonzo clone and the instructions have it only in the primary for 7 days then into the secondary along w/ 2oz Cascade for dry hopping then another 5-7 days and into the bottle.

So I want to leave this in the secondary longer and age it a bit on Cocoa Nib for a couple weeks (well I'm not sure how long this was my guess). What I'm wondering is should I wait until 5 days before I bottle to add the dry hopping or add it when it goes to the secondary and that's fine to sit in their longer.

Without the instructions I would have went more like 10-12 days in the Primary then 20-30 in the secondary w/ the cocoa nib then to the bottle. I don't have much experience here so I'd love some help.

I would leave it in primary for a little while longer than the instructions say. 10-14 days, or longer. And if you want to age it in secondary add the dry hops about ten days before bottling. You don't want to dry hop it longer than two weeks. Too long and you'll have a grassy astringent taste

I leave it in primary,even for dry hopping. I leave it in primary till it reaches FG. Then another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then in your case,rack to secondary on top of the bagged cacoa nibs & dry hops. 7-10 days then bottle.

I think I'm going to let it go 14 in the primary. Then 20-30 in the secondary on cocoa nib as I'm told that's what it takes to break those down properly. 5 days before bottling I'll add the dry hops and go.

This seem to make sense?

Basically,you let it hit FG in the primary before racking & let it settle out pretty clear first. Then rack,dry hop,etc. You don't wamt the hop & cocao oils coating the settling yeast & be lost. Patience will go far here.

Back