Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcomito

Reaction score
I am fermenting a batch of double IPA, and the instructions say to sprinkle the 2 additional ounces of hops over the top of the krausen. They assume that it is in a bucket, but mine is in a 6 gallon carboy. How am I supposed to sprinkle through a 2" hole and get it to spread and cover the top of the krausen? Is there another method or should I ferment initially in my bucket for this style of beer in the future?

Generally when dry hopping you want to begin once the fermentation has completed. I would wait a few more days until the krausen falls down before you throw your hops in. If you have another bucket or carboy you can throw hops in and rack beer on top to get even distribution. If not just throw them in the primary and you will be fine. Wait a week keg or bottle and your IPA should be awesome!

Make sure the beer settles out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping. The hop oils will coat the settling yeast & sink to the bottom.

I second that. Wait until fermentation is complete. Active fermentation will scrub some of the flavor and aroma you are trying to achieve. Also, don't worry about sprinkling them all over the top. I use carboys and dry hop all the time. Just dump them in. They will spread out on their own.

I highly recommend you transfer to secondary before you dry hop.

I make a really good Cascade Pale Ale that I dry hop and I was losing a ton of hop aroma until I realized that the beer was not clear enough before I dry hopped and the suspended yeast was taking my hop aroma down into the trub!

Sprinkle the hops through the neck of the carboy...they spread out on their own.

Just pour the dry hops through the carboy opening a few days (or more) once fermentation has stopped. If you're using pellet hops, that will be easy. Whole hops can be more trouble. If your using whole hops you might want to either get a hop bag, or cover the end of your racking cane when you transfer to bottling bucket.

I wouldn't transfer to another fermented just to dry hop. That's another step that's not needed.

For the record, I dry hop in serving keg now. I simply put the whole hops into a hop bag and put them into the corny keg right before it goes into the brew fridge for chilling and carbonating. I'm not the only person that does this. One big benefit is you have that dry hop goodness for the entire keg and you don't need to remove the hop bag until your cleaning the empty keg. :rockin:

Or just leave it in primary till it settles out clear. The yeast cake won't effect the floating hops. The suspended yeast will if not allowed to settle out,no matter whether you use primary or secondary.

Thanks all for the advice. I will wait for clarity. Glad to know they will spread out. I didn't want a big pile of them right in the middle doing less. I'll keep you posted.

Holy S#$%! That was the best IPA I have ever had. Sorry, I'm not trying to brag. All I did was follow the instructions and heed the advice of my fellow brewsters here. Thanks so much for the great feedback.

Back