Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
Just attempted my first dry hop so please forgive the stupid question. My beer is very cloudy with hop debris and it has been about a week. Does it eventually settle or will I just be stuck with hop crud in the beer? Would cold crashing take care of this problem or does that only work with yeast?

Cold crashing will definately work but depending how long you want it on the hops you may want to rack it off first.

Just attempted my first dry hop so please forgive the stupid question. My beer is very cloudy with hop debris and it has been about a week. Does it eventually settle or will I just be stuck with hop crud in the beer? Would cold crashing take care of this problem or does that only work with yeast?

Cold crashing will work, but finings will work better. For future reference though it's a good idea to put your hops in a hop sack and weigh it down with marbles. At my LHBS I saw this mesh tube that you insert in the neck of your carboy and fill with hops, seemed cool but never got one.

And as my father always said, there are no stupid questions... just stupid people.

;) just kidding.

Homebrewtastic said:
Cold crashing will work, but finings will work better. For future reference though it's a good idea to put your hops in a hop sack and weigh it down with marbles. At my LHBS I saw this mesh tube that you insert in the neck of your carboy and fill with hops, seemed cool but never got one.

And as my father always said, there are no stupid questions... just stupid people.

;) just kidding.

My dad says the same thing. Funny you should mention the sack. I asked my LHBS about that and they told me just to throw them in the carboy so now I have the mess. I guess I will just keg and cold crash and use the sack next time

My dad says the same thing. Funny you should mention the sack. I asked my LHBS about that and they told me just to throw them in the carboy so now I have the mess. I guess I will just keg and cold crash and use the sack next time

I love the hop socks. At my LHBS they're like $0.40 a pop, so I just by a handful whenever I'm there and use them once only.

I did a dry hop on my last batch. I used Irish moss 15 minutes before the end of the boil, 3 weeks primary, threw hops in a secondary (no bag), racked beer on top, left for 1 week, cold crashed 3 days and kegged. First 2 pints had some floaties, but it is crystal clear now. I mean beautiful. I think the Irish moss does a really good job, I use it on every batch now. I only dry hopped with 1oz of Chinook hops.

Did you use pellets or whole cone? I prefer whole cone and use a hop strainer that I made for my racking cane:

you can also put a hop sack over the end of the racking cane, that should stop most hop gunk from being transferred to your bottling bucket. it's very much like Hex's idea, but with a finer mesh.

Just opened bottle of third beer, a rye p.a.

Dry hopped with loose pellets, was really worried when it turned into a huge mess in carboy.

Had in primary for two weeks, the secondary quite a while, 12 days or so dry hopped. Jiggled carboy every now and then, hops eventually went to bottom.

Racked to bucket for bottling with boiled grain bag over siphon.

Clearest of my three beers. 8 days in the bottle at this point, tried one tonight and tasted success.

(I had not been using bottling bucket but did so to rack with the grain bag.)

I just added 2oz for dry hopping a PA. Used loose hops. Problem is some is sticking to inside ceiling of carboy. Tried to swirl without oxygenating. Still stuck.

Leave it alone and not worry?

Swirl away, there should not be oxygen at this point in your carboy. CO2 is heavier than oxygen. Your oxygen was either absorbed into your beer prior to fermentation or it was pushed out by the co2. Unless you are getting pullback, no oxygen to worry about. Unless you racked over to secondary (which is rarely necessary) and used a full sized carboy (go with a 5 gallon carboy just for that reason).

If it isn't settling when it comes time to bottle, the hops debris will settle out in the bottle. However, if the cloudiness is due to chill haze, it may not go away completely.

you can also put a hop sack over the end of the racking cane, that should stop most hop gunk from being transferred to your bottling bucket. it's very much like Hex's idea, but with a finer mesh.

+1.
I use a nylon grain bag over my racking cane and barely get any hops. The mesh is very fine so only the tiniest particles get through.

I just added 2oz for dry hopping a PA. Used loose hops. Problem is some is sticking to inside ceiling of carboy. Tried to swirl without oxygenating. Still stuck.

Leave it alone and not worry?

Unless it's a ton of them, I'd just leave it alone. I wouldn't swirl or otherwise agitate the beer.

Back