Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMillionDreams

Reaction score
When dry hopping with pellets do I need to stir them in? I know it's not a good idea to introduce oxygen into the wort at this point, so should I just plop them in and let it go? Thanks in advance.

Use a hop bag. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of hop debris floating in your beers. No need to stir them. I usually put something stainless steel and heavy (a big bolt) in the hop bag to weigh down the bag.

I have used a hop bag and I have just dropped the pellets in. I actually like the results more when I just drop them in. I gently shake the carboy about once a day just to help swirl the oils around. I've gotten great results doing this. When it comes time to bottle, I place a nylon bag around the end of my siphon thingy and it keeps all the hop particles out. I've gotten very clear beer doing this.

Enjoy it- dry hopping kicks butt.

I often dryhop in the clearing carboy ("secondary"), so I rack the beer onto the pellets. If I'm not racking off the trub, then I just drop them in gently as to not aerate the beer. I don't stir/rock/swirl. It comes out well.

Latest posts

Back