Dry hopping pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you get the same results from dry hopping pellets as opposed to leaf hops?

I have never used whole leaf hops, but I have heard compared to pellets, that whole leaf hops are an absolute mess to work with when dry hopping

Pellet hops seem easier to get bittering from quicker than leaf hops,having been ground up first. Leaf or raw hops seem to have better flavor definition.

i've never used whole leaf hops... and i like dry hopping with pellets, except for they produce more junk in the bottom of the fermenter.

but, if you put them in for the last week of primary, it will just get mixed in with the trub anyway.

Honestly I use them fairly interchangeably depending on what I have on hand. If I am keg hopping I do like using leaf, but I may have to get one of the mesh dryhoppers and give it a go with pellets

Leaf and whole hops are just fine to dry hop with, just like pellets.

The trick to not making a huge mess is to use a hop bag or paint strainer bag at the very least.

IMO you get a fresher flavor and aroma from leaf hops for dry hopping but they also suck up a lot of beer so you lose volume:(

In addition, if you decide to dry hop with leaf in a carboy, do not use a bag as it is a royal b***tch to get the swollen bag out of the neck of a carboy, just let them swim!

In addition, if you decide to dry hop with leaf in a carboy, do not use a bag as it is a royal b***tch to get the swollen bag out of the neck of a carboy, just let them swim!

Just dry hopped with 1.25 oz of Centennial leaf in a carboy. Had no problem getting the bag back out. It was "squeezed" slightly by the neck and drained some juices back in, but the bag came out intact and with all of the leaves.

I wouldn't put more than 1.5 oz of leaf hops in a single bag. Use two or more bags if you're going to do that, or you'll have problems at the neck.

Latest posts

Back