Dry Hopping Options in a Borderline Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameswatsonuk

Reaction score
Hi folks, new to the HBT but used it for casual reference over the years in my adventures..so hi šŸ˜…

Ok so Iā€™ve brewed a couple of batches to use up some old malt and hops thatā€™ve been hanging around a little longer than they should (leftover ingredients bought during lockdown of 2020, so yeah, a bit old!)

Age doesnā€™t appear to have been a problem thoā€¦.I donā€™t get to brew often (kids innit) so tend to go for bigger, 40-45l batches every 10 months of so.

This time Iā€™ve done 2 back-to-back batches to use stuff up: A 40l batch of average (5%) US Pale and a 23l (roughly) of strong (and 10%) stout.

I fermented the pale in 2 separate buckets, pitching a sachet of Wilko yeast on each. Iā€™ll be kegging that soon.

Now, for the stout I did a no-chill to a cube once boil was done. Once at around 20c I poured it straight onto the yeast cake (and trubb of course šŸ˜¬) of one of the racked buckets from the previous batch -not done this before, but figured ā€œwhy notā€. It seems to be a good thing to ā€œtrainā€ yeast up before hitting it with a higher gravity batch

The recipe for the ā€œborderlineā€ imperial stout is:

Fermentables:
9kg Maris Otter
200g Black malt
200g Roasted barley
500g Chocolate malt
500g Brown Sugar

Hops:
20g Simcoe (60m)
25g East Kent Goldings (10m)

OG was 1.089
FG is now at 1.013 after 10 days - I think itā€™s done. Fermentation was pretty volatile at peak!

I call it a ā€œborderlineā€ IS as the FG is on the low side and it could probably be a little darker, I guess. I mashed overnight (reason:kids/time) starting at 65c on my well insulated cooler mash tun, so I think the lower temp has dried/lowered the body a little further than Iā€™d have likedā€¦.but more ABV at 9.8%, so not all badšŸ˜….

Now. Iā€™m planning to rack and age this stout for a few months before bottling and aging for a few more months. Initial samples have a strong alcohol hum (expected), promising coffee/mocha notes, but lacking a really discernible hop profile - given the limited freezer scraps I was using in the boil!

Iā€™m thinking of adding a dry-hopping stage before racking off again to age.

I havenā€™t dry hopped a stout before, having previously only done so with IPAs or Pales, and usually playing safe with the usual US go-tos of Cascade, Centenial and the like. But I think this would be a good candidate for an experiment.

Iā€™m thinking thereā€™s a raisiny/dark fruit/spicy, berry note missing in there that is like to bring out somehow. I was thinking of maybe some more EKG, mixed with something elseā€¦dunno what really thoā€¦.or the quantities involved

How about some suggestions šŸ˜ cheers. Any questions, just ask

Iā€™m a big fan in EKG dry hops. 2 oz in 5 gals gives an herbal, tea-like aroma that I really enjoy. I think it would work well for your stout.

I was leaning toward EKG, never lets me down. Being a UK brewer, seeing hop addition In oz always throws me out! So by my reckoning 2oz/around 60g EKG for 2 weeks. Have some Bramley Cross too..maybe through in an oz of that too?

Latest posts

Back