Dry hopping on krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Maris Otter IPA sported a big yeasty krausen three days after pitching the yeast. Now two weeks after the brew day it still remains. I was going to dry hop today, but I do not know if I should wait or just to dry hop on top of the krausen. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

I have read that people have racked their beer out from under the krausen. My concern is that it does not seem to be falling at all and that it will not do so. How do I dry hop in that situation?

Toss your charge into the fermenter like you normally do. I typically don't even bother with a bag. Just let the hops go for a week and rack carefully thereafter.

Foam on top can persist for days and days even though very little "new" foam is being generated. I bet if you picked up the carboy and swirled it that a little while later there would be no foam.

If you have a normal-gravity beer in primary for two weeks you can definitely dry hop it now....

Back