Dry Hopping - NB Fruit Bazooka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingChip

Reaction score
Hey all,

Two days ago I brewed Northern Brewer’s Fruit Bazooka NEIPA. I followed the instructions to a T and my OG was spot on (1.064). My yeast was also Omega OYL-200. The instructions, however, are a bit weird based on what I’ve learned about brewing so far. Below is the hop schedule, per the recipe:

1 oz Azacca (20 min hop stand)
1 oz Citra (20 min hop stand)
1 oz Ekuanot (20 min hop stand)
1 oz Mosaic (20 min hop stand)
1 oz Ekuanot, 1 oz Mosaic two days into fermentation
1 oz Ekuanot, 1 oz Citra 5-7 days before bottling

It’s been two days since I’ve brewed and per the recipe I should add my first round of dry hops today or tomorrow, but I am hesitant to do so. I am not sure if it would be better to just follow the recipe for his batch or to do my first and second rounds of dry hopping within a week of bottling. Any ideas on what I should do?

*SIDE NOTE: I also have an ounce of Cascade and Willamette in the fridge that I was saving for another brew... would it be worth it to add those to my dry hops as well?

I am no expert on NEIPA's but the first dry hop addition is intentionally meant to be while active fermentation is happening, while the second as the instructions say should come before bottling.

I don't see why you wouldn't just follow the kit on this one though I think there is disagreement on how you utilize the second dry hop (some would say max 3 days before bottling). Someone will come along with better insight I'm sure.

Definitely add your first dry hop now while you have active fermentation. This helps with bio transformation. Add the second dry hop about 5 day’s before bottling. I would not bother with the cascade or williamette in this recipe.

Just added my first round of dry hops, and I’ll add the second round 4-5 days before I bottle.

I just added the hop pellets straight onto the Krausen, but should I put my second round of dry hops in a Muslim bag? Ultimately, I’m fearful that if I just put them in within a few days of bottling that I could unintentionally siphon the disintegrated hops into my bottling buckets and the bottles.

I always dry hop with a bag but some may tell you that it is like making tea in a bag instead of loose leaf. Never noticed a different and helps with not getting too chunky a beer. Also adding during krausen doesn't do much but may mellow the hops a bit so doesn't really matter what you did on the first step

I tried an NEIPA from scratch and used a mixture of Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy hops at a 1:1:1 ratio. I have been following the NEIPA thread here and asking questions. From what I gather, the consensus seems to be adding dry hops in the middle of fermentation.

In the recipe I made I dry hopped at 3 days and 7 days and added directly to the fermenting wort. I am concerned about the hops in suspension when transferring to my bottling bucket so I am thinking about putting a fine mesh strainer in to take out any chunks that may slip through during the siphon.

Another big concern that you may have heard about is oxygen exposure. The advice I got was to minimise the handling as much as possible if using buckets. I would like to eventually get a keg set up but I do not have the space.

Back