Dry hopping mess??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kXb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
HELP! Following directions for my brown ale which says to bottle after 5-7 days in secondary. It has been refrigerated during that time at ~63degrees and I pulled it a couple of days ago to let it settle prior to bottling but it is CLOUDY big time (hops were sprinkled on top per brew store recommendation). Thought I could clear up with addition of gelatin finings so added 1/2t to my 5g carboy. Now I'm seeing some info that I might have screwed up my chances for carbonation (I use dextrose for bottles).

I obviously can put it back in refrigeration for as long as needed for cold crashing but I need to know what my chances for good carbonation are now. And what is solution if I have a real problem??

Thanks in advance!
kXb

Primary-empty
Secondary-Texas Brown Ale
Bottled-Marzen Oktoberfest, Apple Pear Cider, Texas Kolsch

You don't have an issue and anyone who said you did is wrong.

Gelatin CANNOT pull much yeast out of suspension. You will have PLENTY. I guarantee it.

Edit: gelatin will pull a lot of flocculated (clumped together) yeast to the bottom where it settles, but there are billions of single (unflocculated) cells still in suspension.

Ho ahead and crash the beer At 35-40 degrees for a few days.

When complete and ready to bottle place a nylon or hop bag over the racking cane as a filter and rack to bottling bucket with primer solution, you'll have plenty of yeast to carbonate:)

Sent from the Commune

ok...THANK YOU! i was really worried i'd screwed it up real good. secondary is back in cold storage at 40 degrees. will check in a couple of days and proceed with standard bottling procedure.

tip on bag over racking cane is great. i probably wouldn't have thought about that.

Back