Dry Hopping Mess up....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrhomebrew

Reaction score
Hi All! I am currently in my first batch of homebrew. I am brewing an American Pale Ale from an extract kit from Brewers Best.... I really wanted an IPA, but they ran out and I was impatient.... So I decided to dry hop it to add some more aroma and bitterness....

I got a 1oz bag of dried hops.... Not thinking I racked to the secondary carboy and I just dumped the dry hops on top.... Then I realized they were just going to sit there....

Any advice? Pretty much impossible to submerge them now.... Will this hurt anything? I didn't want to mix it at all because I thought getting oxgyen during this stage is bad....

Any advice?

Thanks!

They will break apart and eventually settle to the bottom all on their own. This is how a lot of us dry hop--just dump it in.

That being said, you will gain zero bitterness from a dry hop. Bitterness is only obtained by putting the hops in the boil. The longer they boil, the more bitterness you obtain. Dry hopping is for aroma only.

Cathedral said:
They will break apart and eventually settle to the bottom all on their own. This is how a lot of us dry hop--just dump it in.

That being said, you will gain zero bitterness from a dry hop. Bitterness is only obtained by putting the hops in the boil. The longer they boil, the more bitterness you obtain. Dry hopping is for aroma only.

+1 on all points. The hops are totally fine, your technique is fine. You just won't get any bitterness.

That's pretty much what I do all the time!

The idea is that the beer permeates through the hops. They don't usually sink, as they still float on top if they are whole hops, but you can rack from under them. No worries!

Back