Dry hopping length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
When you dry hop, do the hops continue to release aromas and flavors the entire time they are in the carboy, or do the release whatever they can and then quit?

I've got an IPA in the secondary that called for dry hopping 1 oz. for 5-7 days, but i'm thinking about leaving it in the secondary for a couple of weeks. I didn't use a hop bag, so there's no way to remove the hops.

hal simmons said:
When you dry hop, do the hops continue to release aromas and flavors the entire time they are in the carboy, or do the release whatever they can and then quit?

I've got an IPA in the secondary that called for dry hopping 1 oz. for 5-7 days, but i'm thinking about leaving it in the secondary for a couple of weeks. I didn't use a hop bag, so there's no way to remove the hops.

As someone on here once told me "God help you if you used Whole Leafs" :D , When I dry hopped I just let them fall to the bottom before I racked, I really dont think it will hurt, it might clog up your keg maybe. But if your worried get a small grain bag and a SANATIZED Rubber Band.

RICLARK said:
As someone on here once told me "God help you if you used Whole Leafs" :D , When I dry hopped I just let them fall to the bottom before I racked, I really dont think it will hurt, it might clog up your keg maybe. But if your worried get a small grain bag and a SANATIZED Rubber Band.

I don't think he's doing this in a keg...
I dry hop 2 - 3 weeks typically. No theory behind that, it's just what I do, and with nice results.

To clairify...

Fermented in primary 2 weeks, racked to secondary and dry hopped with 1 oz. pellets. I just dropped them in without a hop bag or anything. They seem to be settling out, so I guess it's OK to just leave them in for another 2 weeks or so before bottling?

hal simmons said:
To clairify...

Fermented in primary 2 weeks, racked to secondary and dry hopped with 1 oz. pellets. I just dropped them in without a hop bag or anything. They seem to be settling out, so I guess it's OK to just leave them in for another 2 weeks or so before bottling?

Yes, I do this quite often.

Yep I dry hop in the keg. I throw the hops in a small sanitized paint strainer bag, knot it and throw it in there. I haven't found a need with pellets to weigh down the bag, but this last time I could only find leaf hops and it's just floating in the keg.

-J

miatawnt2b said:
Yep I dry hop in the keg. I throw the hops in a small sanitized paint strainer bag, knot it and throw it in there. I haven't found a need with pellets to weigh down the bag, but this last time I could only find leaf hops and it's just floating in the keg.

-J

I do this too. Last time I tried to tie some fishing line to the hop bag, but I couldn't get a good seal, so I just let it float.

Regarding dry-hopping in a carboy using whole leaves:

Can one achieve good results by simply tossing the loose hops into the carboy, or should one use a weighted bag?

Southwood said:
Regarding dry-hopping in a carboy using whole leaves:

Can one achieve good results by simply tossing the loose hops into the carboy, or should one use a weighted bag?

That's how I do it. Not sure how your going to get a weighted bag in the opening of the carboy.

i've dry hopped with leaf, when i went to transfer the beer to my bottling bucket, i took a grain bag i steep with a rubber band around my cain and just went about it that way. i sanitized the rubber band, and boild the bag for a bit, but i just kept the rubber band out of the beer just in case. it wasn't as bad as i thought cleaning out the leaf hops either.

I just put hops in the primary after the Krausen has gone down and leave it in about 7-10 days. I also am conditioning on the yeast which IMHO is necessary so in total I have the beer in the primary 2 to 3 weeks depending on the recipe. I then keg the beer leaving all the sludge, old yeast and hops behind. I let the kegs condition at room temp 2 weeks for ales with CO2 on them the last 5 days I crash cool and the beer is ready. So from boil to tap is usually 4 to 5 weeks for my Ales. If you are drinking your ales sooner then they may be sweeter and less polished (clear).
:mug:

Back