Dry hopping: keg vs carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apimyces

Hop breeder
Reaction score
It just occured to me that CO2 extraction is one of the methods to obtaining hop extract, and that in the keg, we've got precisely more CO2, more pressure, and an air-tight seal compared to in a carboy.

But I don't have enough brewing experience to know if it makes a difference.

So what fo you think? Do you fet more out of your hops when dry hopping in a keg than in a carboy?

I wouldn't say I get more, but they don't fade. When I dry hop in the keg, I let the keg at room temp for a week, then chill and leave the hops in the keg until kicked. Once cool, you get much less oils out of the hops, but IMO just enough to maintain their peak.

I was told IPAs didn't age well and would go stale. Does this mean that if I dry hop in my keg it will never lose freshness?

Hoppy beers like IPA's and NEIPA's are ALWAYS better fresh. Hops in general are better fresh, right? The only time you use aged hops or less hops are in beers that age better (stouts, sours, etc). Same applies to the finished beer. Hoppy beers are better fresh. I wouldn't say that it would NEVER lose freshness in the keg, but it may last longer from what I've read on dry hopping in the keg.

Back