Dry hopping, keg hopping and gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks_Yeasties

Reaction score
I'm doing a galaxy DIPA and have just dropped in my second round of dry hops a few days ago. I would like to cold crash it a day or two before kegging which I am debating on trying my first keg hop. I realize a cloudy DIPA isnt a bad thing so Im not sure I need to fine with gelatin besides maybe I would like to have a clearer beer. I either want a very clear beer or its not worth the hassle to use gelatin, so would using gelatin with the copious amounts of hopping even have much effect?

And secondly, I think even if I did use gelatin, keg hopping would basically negate its effects. Just thinking a bit out loud, thoughts?

in the keg after adding isinglass. The dry hop was done with 2 oz citra pelletized hops in an arbor fab cylinder dry hopper. It was not suspended, simply dropped to bottom of keg. After chilling and 1 week crystal clear. The isinglass is added 1/4 tsp to one cup and was added to keg when racking. So, no, keg dry hopping doesn't have an effect on the fining if done properly. I will add that the beer was cold crashed prior to racking to keg. Then it was left at room temp for 7 days to warm and get good hop extraction before moving back to keezer. cheers

in the keg after adding isinglass. The dry hop was done with 2 oz citra pelletized hops in an arbor fab cylinder dry hopper. It was not suspended, simply dropped to bottom of keg. After chilling and 1 week crystal clear. The isinglass is added 1/4 tsp to one cup and was added to keg when racking. So, no, keg dry hopping doesn't have an effect on the fining if done properly. I will add that the beer was cold crashed prior to racking to keg. Then it was left at room temp for 7 days to warm and get good hop extraction before moving back to keezer. cheers

So you cold crashed, fined (waited a day or two?), racked to keg, added dry hop, warmed keg for a week then chilled again?

I didn't wait after fining. I crashed around three days. The added fining mixture directly to keg before I racked to keg w auto syphion. Then let it warm one day at room temp. Added hops next day in a stripper micron stainless container. Let set for several days, then threw her into my kegerator. Waited to carb. First several pours had minimal haze. Once chilled and carbonated properly, it was as clear as I had hoped.

Back