dry hopping in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh14025

Reaction score
my second batch is an IPA made with 6 lbs of DME and columbus and citra hops. the guy at the LHBS reccommended dry hopping with the citra but I forgot to ask about dry hopping in the primary fermentor since I do not have a secondary. Its been fermenting for a week and I threw in a 1/2 oz. of the citra to dry hop, I plan on leaving it to ferment for 2 weeks. I haven't seen any activity from the airlock, but I pulled the airlock out for a second and saw the krausen on day 4, so I'm not worried about it, but I could really smell the hops!

I only hear people talking about dry hopping in a secondary fermentor, so I wasn't sure if its good for my beer. Worst case scenario I drink all 48 bottles and nobody else likes it, I'll never dump a beer I made... unless it tastes like piss

I am drinking a citra pale ale that I dry hopped in the primary. It's awesome btw.

I have dry hopped the primary, secondary, and in the keg and have like all outcomes. However the last few times I have been routinely just dry hopping the primary. Also I no longer secondary. I have never been disappointed.

Back