Dry Hopping in Primary/Secondary for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmniBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I brewed an extract IPA last week, with 7 pounds Light DME, 1 oz Nelson (60 mins), 1 oz Cascade (30 mins) and 1 pound of unknown fresh off the vine hops from a friend (10 mins).

It's been sitting in the primary for 1 week now and I am getting ready to dry hop with some more of the mystery hops. (About 4 oz)

I am doing this with a friend (who is a newbie) and he wants to do a secondary (says he has been talking to homebrew people that urged him to do secondary), whereas I think that we can just toss these into the primary (in a mesh bag) in a couple days and let it sit for 5-6 days then bottle.

I have been hearing more and more that secondary is a waste of time, and only leads to oxidization, etc. Plus I just read something that John Palmer himself recently said there is no need to secondary most beers.

Due to timing, we would have to rack to secondary after 14 days in primary. Then what? Do we just toss in hops at that time and only secondary for 5-6 days total?? Seems like it's not worth it....or secondary for 1-2 weeks and THEN toss in the hops for the last 5-6 days?

The option I was leaning towards was tossing the hops in after 9 days in the primary and letting them ride for 6 days, thus giving it a total of 15 days in primary, then bottle. I tend to think fresher is better.

Just looking for some feedback on what you guys think

Much appreciated!

Cheers! :mug:

I think your first instinct is the way to go. For the sake of time, cleaning, and oxidation potential, throw them into the primary. On e the Krausen is down, I start my dry hop. I like to go two weeks though, but that's my person preference.

I'm not against secondaries, but in this case you can achieve the same outcome with less effort. That beer isn't going to get any off flavors from sitting on the yeast for 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I second what NatDavis777 says. Wait until the Krausen has fallen out, take a hydrometer reading and throw the hops in. I wouldn't bother with the bag for the dryhops. Toss them in loose and then use the bag on the end of your racking cane when you bottle. (Sanitize it of course)

I've been trying to chase down the elusive super hoppy brew. I did a few two years ago that were just top notch. I mean bursting with aroma and flavor. Haven't quite gotten back there yet. Those where all done when I used to secondary.

Now I primary only but I am going to switch it up this batch just to see if anything changes. I've always bagged them

I bag them & I also put a shot glass in the bag to weigh it down I do this in Primary after fermentation has subsided. I usually wait till it's been in primary for about 2 weeks then dry hop for a week but I have done as little as 4 days with good results!:mug:

I did an IPA from primary to secondary. The last five days in secondary I dry hopped with Citra (just dropped the pellets in) and it turned out beautiful both in aroma and flavor. This is also the first time I have ever racked to secondary as well as the first time I've had a nearly perfectly clear beer. I've also heard for and against using a secondary, but after my results I don't think I'll do it any other way.

I bag them & I also put a shot glass in the bag to weigh it down I do this in Primary after fermentation has subsided. I usually wait till it's been in primary for about 2 weeks then dry hop for a week but I have done as little as 4 days with good results!:mug:

A shot glass is a solid idea!

If I do a secondary, I use a corney (easier to pull hop bags, bags with coconut, etc, out opposed to carboys). Shot glasses are easy to sanitize and easily weigh down. Goes to show you never stop learning!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks all for the feedback. This just confirms what I am thinking and I'm going to try to convince my friend we should just toss those little guys in the primary.

Cheers!

Back