Dry Hopping in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't normally do it, but my idea is to tie the bag of hops with floss to the handle of the keg. I'm curious though, when the level of the beer sinks below the dry hop bag as the keg empties will the bag drip and oxidize the beer below it? Too paranoid? No O2 to cause oxidization? Not sure...

Aside from the O2 contamination level of your CO2 there isn't going to be anything in the keg head space to oxidize anything.

fwiw, I just toss the bag in the keg and leave it there 'til the keg kicks. But I only use whole cones for keg-hopping and they likely suspend at the top of the beer all the way to the end...

Cheers!

Aside from the O2 contamination level of your CO2 there isn't going to be anything in the keg head space to oxidize anything.

fwiw, I just toss the bag in the keg and leave it there 'til the keg kicks. But I only use whole cones for keg-hopping and they likely suspend at the top of the beer all the way to the end...

Cheers!
That's what I thought. Any reason to not dry hop with pellets in the keg in the same way? My plan was to put those in the bag. Wondering if I can just tie the bag and put it in without suspending it.

I throw pellets in kegs often, I use a very fine bag, use a few marbles and keep the bag at the bottom the whole time, I drain a few pints at first when tapping it, but after that the beer is clear if fined, but never a bunch of hop junk, just make sure the bag is really fine and I’ve had hops submerged for 2 months and never a veg taste! Keeps the hop flavor at max. IMO

Look for fine muslin spice bags, they work great with pellets- you can fit about an oz once swelled in each one.

Back