Dry hopping in keg ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
I brewed an american summer IPA with about 1&1/3 oz of Centennial added at various stages of the boil. I transferred it to a keg today, and tasted a sample, ( for quality control purposes only ). It seemed a little light on the bitterness/hoppiness end of things. I have the other 2/3 oz of centennial hop pellets in the fridge. Could I put them into a hop ball, and drop into the keg without any trub-ble? Or would I ruin my otherwise clear beer ? How long would I leave it in there?
Bob

I use a muslin bag + unflavored dental floss to suspend the bag mid-keg and easy retrieval. The hop ball wont work very well at all since theres no room for the hops to expand and impart their flavors. The ones int he center will stay mostly dry

Bob,

Sure thing! You may get a little hop solid in your beer, but likely not much. I use a stainless steel cylinder and fill it with hops, plop it in the keg until the keg kicks. Others only leave it in for a week or two, but I find that is more trouble than it is worth, especially if you are serving it and it is all carb'd up. Another thing you could do is build yourself a randall...there are several posts on here that give details.

Not sure how many gallons you brewed but <2oz of hops isn't much at all for an IPA! I have used a pound or more in various 5 or 10 gallon batches!

One thing about pellets- I'd use a very tightly woven nylon bag as they disintegrate and will clog up your posts and diptubes as well as cause "floaties". Tea ball strainers (those stainless steel ones) are great for whole hops, but not pellets because of the way the pellets fall apart.

Thanks guys. I'll skip the hop ball, sanitize a nylon bag and some glass marbles, pitch it in there, with a dental floss string in case it needs to come out, and taste what happens.
Bob

I dry hop in kegs often. I use paint strainer bags, and they work well. I've never had a problem with clogging. Something made from voile would be even better..

I use two neodymium magnets. One sealed in a foodsaver bag and then put in the bag with the hops, and then the other one outside the keg. Holds the hops in place, and I can move the hops up the keg if they've been sitting in the beer too long

I do it all the time with a standard LHBS hop sock. Tie it off to the gas tube with a slipknot, and let it go. I keep the beer reasonably clear by only letting the hops sit in the keg for 3-4 days prior to serving, and I'm really careful pulling them out not to squeeze any goo out into the beer.

I use two neodymium magnets. One sealed in a foodsaver bag and then put in the bag with the hops, and then the other one outside the keg. Holds the hops in place, and I can move the hops up the keg if they've been sitting in the beer too long

Very cool idea :mug:

I use a voile bag, and leave them in for the life of the brew in the keg. No issues. I don't use a weight, either.

Back