Dry hopping in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
I had a question about dry hopping in keg. Do I dry hop before I put the Gas on or does it matter?

Doesn't matter. Just remember if you decide to dry hop after you've carbed, you'll have to release the pressure in the keg, pop the lid and quickly put in the hops and reseal. If it's already carbed, it will foam up real fast when you add the hops.

If you first bring the keg of brew down to serving temperature - especially if you keep your kegs in the 30s°F - you can then toss in a muslin bag of whole cones without a volcanic eruption (it's actually quite calm, I do it all the time)...

Cheers!

i like to put the bag of hops in the bottom of the keg and rack on top - it takes a while to extract the aroma at lower temps anyways so the time it takes to carb will work in your favor

I just tried this for the first time and was overwhelmed with the hop flavor at first. The bag which I had tied to the top had sunk to the bottom and I think that first glass I pulled was just ubber-hopped because they sat right next to the dip tube.

Anyone else have this issue? I took them out and kind of lightly dipped the hop bag (without splashing) to mix up the beer and it seems better.

I'd be super careful when venting off the extra CO2. Since the hops provide a point for CO2 to come out of solution, then when you vent off the bubbles, even MORE will be produced by the hops.

I had an explosion of beer-sorts happen the other week when I attmpted to retrieve the hops from my keg. I pulled the valve ring and released it too fast, and beer started going everywhere as if it had 100psi in it. Luckily I was able to get the blowoff valve to close and salvage most of the beer, but it was not pretty.....hops EVERYWHERE.

I guess what I was asking is should I let the hops sit in the keg before I start to carb them or can I turn the CO2 on right away?

Two things to look out for here, Oxidation and vegetal flavors. When I do this I add the hops to the keg, purge with CO2 then rack the beer on top of the hops. Next if I dont anticipate blowing trough the keg in three weeks to a month I will jumper the beer in to a new keg and get the beer off the dry hops after a week. I use an XL Stainless tea infuser and tie the chain to the dip tube so the infuser hangs in the middle of the keg.

When I dry hop in a serving keg I leave the hops in 'til the keg kicks. I've had kegs last for almost a month with a couple of ounces of whole cones for the duration and never had anyone note any off notes.

I think holding beer at 34°F slows everything way down...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
When I dry hop in a serving keg I leave the hops in 'til the keg kicks. I've had kegs last for almost a month with a couple of ounces of whole cones for the duration and never had anyone note any off notes.

Cheers!

Same here, never had vegetal flavors from leaving dry hops in the keg for several weeks

+ 2, up to 6 wks here with no grassy flavors. I have seen the eruption though ,even at 38 degrees.

I too will purge my keg, rack my beer into it, and put my hops into the mesh hop bag. Dunk it and wet it out, and then I have a SS hose clamp around the blow off valve body to suspend it by the string on the bag.

I'll start cooling, and dry hopping, and carbing at the same time. Let it sit for a week or two before I pull a pint off. I dump the first because of the stuff that settled out, but I have a cut dip tube, and a screen on it as well, so I have no issues with pellets for dry hopping. I put it all in there and get ZERO sediment.

I also get no grassy vegetal flavors in my beers from leaving them in there. They are usually in there for 2 weeks before I even drink it. It's fresh and hoppy as hell!

Back