Dry hopping in keg with Surescreen on dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
Never tried this yet, but I got a Surescreen for one of my kegs. Do you need to clamp it to the dip tube? It stays on without a clamp - the bottom of the keg keeps it from slipping off.

Is it detrimental to the beer to have those hops stay in the keg until the keg is empty? The longest I've ever dry hopped was 2 weeks, and that was in the fermenter.

No, a Surescreen will stay in place without a clamp. I use mine for the blackberry cider keg (which is empty this year).

I noticed some strange flavors in my beer after about 6 weeks, so I'm back to bagging and 2 weeks.

I suppose I could dry hop in a keg for a week or two and then push the beer to a serving keg. I need to get a length of tubing with liquid QDs on the ends to accomplish that, don't have one on hand.

Yeah, I haven't been on much recently, I haven't brewed anything in 6 months. Hopefully my new brewing toys will remedy that. I'll have to get some pics once I get it set up.

I've dryhopped in the keg, at kegerator temps, with a metal tea ball strainer and sanitized muslin bags. I didn't notice any issues, and in fact loved the results. However, I must confess that I drink a lot and haven't had a keg actually last more than 3 weeks or so. So, I'd say you'd be fine if you don't plan on saving the keg very long!

I would say a month would be tops for me in the future. My last batch lasted over 6 weeks and I noticed some off flavors.

I've has similar results to Yooper with the tea ball in the keg. I left it about 2 weeks at room temp then for about a little over a month in the kegerator. The flavor definitely changed over that month but I liked it.

I dry-hop in the keg with a paint strainer, typically sealed with one of those plastic locking food clips. The batch of Edwort's Haus Ale I made has been kegged at least 5 weeks and I haven't noticed any "bad" off flavors.

Back