Dry hopping in conical without clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
I now have a conical fermenter and I’m trying to figure out the best way to dry hop in the conical without clogging the racking arm. I plan on dropping the pellets directly into the conical without a bag or container and then pressure transferring. For those of you who do this, what is your process to not clog the racking arm when pressure transferring? Thanks a lot.

IMHO the best process is to size up your recipe to allow for about 1/2 gallon of waste/trube. Then drop the yeast after primary fermentation is over. Dry hop on whatever schedule you are on. 1-3 days prior to racking to kegs dump the hops out the bottom.

This should give you a decent shot at racking without clogging. Another tip is to dump the first beer that you take through the racking arm to waste. Run a little bit into a cup or jar until you see clear beer. This will stop those first few ounces containing some hops/trube from clogging up your poppets right out of the chute.

Cold crash. Dump. Wait a few days. Repeat. You will end up losing more beer from your batch as posted above. But can get nice clear beer, no clogs this way.

Thanks, I thought dumping the yeast and dumping the hops would help. Also I like the idea of the racking arm at 90° or even pointing a little towards the floor so it doesn’t catch dropping yeast or hops and make a plug.

I've done both methods mentioned above. I "cold crashed" just to like 55F and the dry hops really precipitated out.

I also like transferring out with floating dip tube, with FLOTit 2.0, which has a mesh screen. Floating dip tube combined with a cold/cool crash works great.

I've thought about trying the floating dip tube on the rack arm, but have never tried. Seems like it should work, though.

I've stuck to dry hopping in a bag . One time I just dumped the pellets in and it was clog city. I just use a large enough bag and it's been fine .

I've done both methods mentioned above. I "cold crashed" just to like 55F and the dry hops really precipitated out.

I also like transferring out with floating dip tube, with FLOTit 2.0, which has a mesh screen. Floating dip tube combined with a cold/cool crash works great.

I've thought about trying the floating dip tube on the rack arm, but have never tried. Seems like it should work, though.

Understand cold crash will send the hops to the bottom, however how to avoid clogging when gravity checking to work out when to start cold crashing? New to brewing - should I just stop with final gravity check until after cold crashing, and just wait a little longer to start cold crashing after activity has stopped?

Understand cold crash will send the hops to the bottom, however how to avoid clogging when gravity checking to work out when to start cold crashing? New to brewing - should I just stop with final gravity check until after cold crashing, and just wait a little longer to start cold crashing after activity has stopped?

Wait until it hits FG before cold crashing. Just be mindful of suck back during a cold crash . Put some co2 on it while crashing

Back