dry hopping in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
Can I dry hop in a keg of finished beer?
I made something like a pale ale that seems to need a little something extra.
Thanks,

How can I sterilize the bag or hops? I read that the hops do not need sterilizing but I am assuming the bag will.

Alternatively, you can make hop tea. I take 1-2 oz. of pellet hops, but them in a French Press with water around 150-160 degrees and let it sit for an hour. Then I press it and pour the "tea" in the keg. Works great. I know some worry that this will oxydize the beer because the hot water has oxygen in it. I have never had a problem with that.

How can I sterilize the bag or hops? I read that the hops do not need sterilizing but I am assuming the bag will.

I have a few bags that when I need them, I soak them in pbw for a few minutes, rinse 5 times with fresh water, then spray with my spray bottle of starsan. Put the hops in, pull the ties closed, then place in the keg and re-purge the headspace.

I put a spoon in the bag and boiled both for 15 minutes. Put hops in bag and drop in keg. The spoon keeps the bag down in the keg.

I put a spoon in the bag and boiled both for 15 minutes. Put hops in bag and drop in keg. The spoon keeps the bag down in the keg.

I do this but tie some dental floss to the bag and tie it off to the kg handle so it hangs and can't clog the pickup tube.

I put a screen on the out tube and throw whole cone hops in every keg.

I either do this or use a clear beer draught system that is basically a float that takes beer from the top only. Its a little pricey ($40ish) but it cleans up easier than anything else and you can serve from the keg even if it is lying down which is nice for a keg/cooler setup.

I am thinking of using a couple ping pong balls to float the bag at dry hopping. If I clean/sanitize them, is there any concern being in a pressurized environment?

Multiple options:

*Hop ISO Bittering extract. Adds bitterness to finished beer if you have missed your IBU level. Bitterness only, no hop flavors.

*Hop Shot. Adds specific hop flavors (extracted oils) if you need more specific hop profiles. Only a handful of hops are offered.

*Dry hop in muslin bag. Since the beer has a significant alcohol content, this should stave off infections. I still mist the bag with starsan for insurance.

*Hop teas as per Gavin above

Back