Dry hopping during active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virtus

Reaction score
Hello,

I use unitanks for fermentation and carbonation. I dont have a carbonation stone, just set high head pressure to speed up carbonation and when is done ( one week) then set the pressure according to the beer temp and carbonation level.

So the idea is to dry hop during end of active fermentation (third day) and leave for another day at atmospheric pressure to scrub out all oxygen and then close the prv. After four days of dry hop i would do a cold crash for three days, dump yeast and hops and leave beer another week at 2 Bar to fully carbonate at 36F / 2C. Is there a problem to leave remaining hops for one to two weeks ad such cold temperatures?

If you haven't purchased Mr. Janish's book, it's money very well spent. Janish's book is a pragmatic, quantitative look at how to get the most hop flavor and aroma into your beer in the most efficient manner possible. Janish is a refreshingly candid writer, he clearly presents his data, admits that it likely isn't the full story, and doesn't give a bucket of warm piss about tradition (but he's not rude about it). Either the data supports a practice, or it doesn't.

I like that. A lot.

That's from a guy that has zero use for NEIPA's, milk shake IPAs, etc. I do like data, though, and Mr. Janish brings it.

Lastly, this is a self-published book. I think he's doing excellent work, I think you'll find that he's doing the same, and I hope that we can both encourage him to do some more. For the love of beer, buy this man's book!

Personally, I think dry hops should be in contact with the beer for as long as necessary and not longer. You might find this an interesting read:
http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/
Wow, very nice read. I've been finding myself dry-hopping differently since I started years ago. Back when I started you didn't dare dry hop anywhere near active fermentation. Now, it's the normal (especially with NEIPAs). Dry hopping was always preached to be at least a week, now I do 4-5 days on average and haven't really noticed any difference. Not I'm intrigued to do a max of three days and see what happens. Thanks!

Personally, I think dry hops should be in contact with the beer for as long as necessary and not longer. You might find this an interesting read:
http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/

I once dry hopped and cold crashed for a month. Yeast was there 6+ weeks. Left it all in the carboy. Finally got "un-lazy" and kegged it..... One of the best IPAs I brewed. Great aroma and no off flavors. Low ABV beer

Back