Dry Hopping - cold vs ferm temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchrispen

accidentalis.com
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Question. Has anyone done any experimentation to compare the effects of dry hopping cold, versus in either primary or secondary ferm temps? I searched around a bit, couldn't find any consensus or specific evaluations.

I realize this could open up a can o' worms, but interested in peoples experiences.

I just dry hopped an IPA with Citra, after a 2 week primary, and after chilling to 40 degrees. After only 2 days, I have a much fuller, brighter and cleaner flavor and aroma than last time.

Identical Recipes (grist, mash schedule and boil times) - 11 gallons, bittering (1.5 oz Chinook), flavor charges (.5 oz Chinook, 1 oz Motueka), aroma charges (1 oz each Citra and Motueka), dry hop (1 oz Citra) = BeerSmith puts this at 67 IBUs.

Version A:
1. Primary at 2 weeks, dry hopped halfway with Citra (1 oz, pellets)
2. Crash cooled to 40f and kegged

Version B:
1. Primary 2 weeks
2. Crash cooled to 40f, dry hopped and held for 1 week (I am on day 2)

Version B is dropping very bright, A had some haze. B has amazingly fresh hop aroma, A was good, but a bit muted. B is so flavorful, having a hard time not pulling more flat samples! Perhaps this batch of hops was just fresher or more intense.

So I pose the question: Dry hop at fermentation temps? or Dry hop cold or in keg? Both? I know a lot of folks do the latter...

I have heard from a few home brewers that its best to dry hop upper 60s but I don't know if that's true or not or the effects. I have a ipa in secondary with 1.5oz of Amarillo at 50f right now because my brew belt gave out. It does seem to be clearing better but granted it is colder so the yeast Floc out a little better with colder temps.

in my experience the end result in similar (haven't done a side by side) but the cooler temps take longer to extract the aroma

my guess as to why B has a stronger aroma is that you added dry hops too soon in primary and some of the aroma may have been either scrubbed out by co2 offgassing or the yeast stripped some of the aroma as it dropped out of suspension

I have always preferred to dry hop cold. I find I get a cleaner hop aroma, and that big lasting aroma, not a big snap of aroma then it trails off. I know many breweries dry hop in the 50-60 F range for this longer cleaner aroma.

I always preferred to dry hop in my 48* kegerator (when I had it) rather than my 68* fermentation area. I thought the hop aroma was a lot more crisp and cleaner but the hops stayed in the keg till the keg was kicked, which was usually longer than they stayed in secondary (usually a week, maybe two), so I definitely wouldn't say its definitive.

my guess as to why B has a stronger aroma is that you added dry hops too soon in primary and some of the aroma may have been either scrubbed out by co2 offgassing or the yeast stripped some of the aroma as it dropped out of suspension

Terrapinj - I suppose that is a reasonable assumption. I do check gravities to make sure they are stable before DH... generally speaking for my system with APA or IPAs, unless they are crazy complex, primary is completely done in 3-4 days, but will leave in primary for at least another 10 days to clean up. While possible, I don't see DH after a week as being too early - and do it often.

I should try this out on an something like a Cascade Pale and see if the lighter aroma holds up. Citra may not be a great example and skewing my perception. I think I might try to ping Hieronymus and see if he has any thoughts.

Kegged the IPA today and sipping on a flat but flavorful glass. Cannot wait for this to carb up.

According to BYO, hop oils at higher temperatures are more effective, but lower temps can reach the same flavor levels with time.

These tips work well for me when my goal is awesome hop flavor & aroma in an AIPA (which is always):

*Focus much more on the hopstand and dryhop. For 5 gallons at 1.070 OG, 3 oz. @ 0 & 5 oz. @ dryhop.
*Long hopstands from 165 F, all the way down to pitch temps, to increase hop character w/o increasing bitterness.
*Rely on a clean and simple grist that isn't bombarded with a ton of specialty malts or unfermentable dextrines.
*Pitch the appropriate amount of clean yeast, low in esters, and ferment in the low to mid 60s.
*Use Pacific NW late hops like Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, Summit, Chinook, Nugget, Cascade, etc.
*Use high quality, fresh pellets hops; especially for late boil and dryhop additions.
*Dryhop in 2 to 3 stages with weighted bags at 66-68 F, pulling the old hops out with each new addition.

2-3 days at room temp, 2 days at 40 degrees during cold crash. Rack and package. That's the best way to dry hop.

Back