Dry hopping and English Pale Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Are English-style Pale Ales traditionally dry-hopped? If so, any suggestions on how much and how long for a 5-gallon batch?

They can be, just don't go crazy with it. Start with about 0.5 oz per 5 gal. of Goldings, Fuggles or some other English variety. I wouldn't push it past about 1 oz.

Traditionally I don't think most were - certainly they're much less hoppy than their North American equivalents. But more importantly, I think a little bit of dry-hopping would make for a very good beer, so maybe half an ounce for a week would be a good start.

I'll +1 brewsmith. I remember reading one brewery's formula was "A fat handful per barrel."

Thanks. I think I'll try 0.5 oz of Challenger for one week. I used Challenger and Williamette in the boil.

I'll +1 brewsmith. I remember reading one brewery's formula was "A fat handful per barrel."

I think I've seen a recipe or two that mentioned the same thing.

However, I think generally speaking, if you were to dry hop an English Pale Ale you'd change it from being a more traditional 'English' Pale Ale. It might turn the brew into more of an APA. Not that that is a bad thing. Just that I think the beer stops being an English Pale Ale when dry hopping. Basically its just a label attributed to the hops order than anything else.

I tend to dry hop my English ales, except milds. The UK forums that I'm on never mention dry-hopping, though.

I use 1 oz. of Fuggles or Goldings for a 6 gal. batch.

I like it. I guess dry-hopping an English ale is kinda like Canada - half-British, half-American :)

Back