Dry Hopping After A week in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
So i brewed 2 Apa's last weekend and i checked gravity yesterday and their both at their FG.
Now i was going to leave them for 2 weeks then dry hop then bottle after 3rd week but were leaving for holidays that week so i was gna CCrash/Dry hop both of them today or tomorrow and bottle this weekend.
I know they wnt b clear and im fine with that but am i rushing it or will it work?
The samples both tasted great and their at FG.
THANKS

It should work. People tend to leave beer in primary for that extra time to help everything settle and condition further, but if you're going to cold crash then that'll take care of settling.

Are you cold crashing/dry hopping at the same time, or 1 then the other?

It should work. People tend to leave beer in primary for that extra time to help everything settle and condition further, but if you're going to cold crash then that'll take care of settling.

Are you cold crashing/dry hopping at the same time, or 1 then the other?
Im gna dryhop them and then stick them in fridge right after.

You want it to be in the upper 60s/lower 70s for dry hopping. If you dry hop today, then wait until Thursday to start your cold crash, add gelatin Friday, bottle on Sunday, then you should end up with a pretty good final product. If you cold crash while dry hopping you will likely have less aroma than you're hoping for.

Im gna dryhop them and then stick them in fridge right after.

IMO you should give them at least 4 days before you cold crash. Otherwise the hops will settle out of suspension before they have had time to let their oils go to work..

That sounds like a great idea!
I will dry hop today,then Thurs CCrash,then bottle on Sunday! Quickest brew ever!
Thanks as usual for all the help and feedback.

If you dry hop today, then wait until Thursday to start your cold crash, add gelatin Friday, bottle on Sunday, then you should end up with a pretty good final product.

Agreed, except for the gelatin. I would not use gelatin in a dry-hopped beer unless it was done before the dry hopping. Gelatin risks stripping out some of those precious hop oils imparted by dry-hopping. Cold and time will get the beer equally clear, without sacrificing hop aroma. Or drink it fresh and recognize that a little haze is appropriate for the style.

Agreed, except for the gelatin. I would not use gelatin in a dry-hopped beer unless it was done before the dry hopping. Gelatin risks stripping out some of those precious hop oils imparted by dry-hopping. Cold and time will get the beer equally clear, without sacrificing hop aroma. Or drink it fresh and recognize that a little haze is appropriate for the style.

Agreed on everything here. I always get clear beer when I cold crash for at least 48 hours.

Ya i got no Gelatin anyways! Lol..
What temp is suitable for cold crashing Mid 50s??.

I use my garage fridge to cold crash in..I just move all the bottles around and take out a shelf so my carboy fits. I always let it go at the temp of my fridge..so like 36F-40F. I've always read the colder the better... Beer has a lower freezing point than just water, but only by a few degrees.

Meh it doesn't affect if much, certainly not to a perceivable difference. If you're really that worried about it, add an extra quarter of an ounce to make up for it. With the above method compared to just cold crashing, it was taking me at least 5-6 days cold crashing to reach a clarity that still wasn't quite equal to gelatin.
While a little haze might be appropriate for the style, I just like the looks of a clear beer better.

Back