Dry hopping advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I brewed 10g of American Pale Ale on Sunday. I used 17lbs pale ale malt and 1lb crystal 40 as the grain bill. In the kettle I hopped with
.25oz Topaz FWH
1.5 oz each Centennial and Columbus at 10
1.5 oz each Columbus and Centennial at flameout (whirlpool for 15 minutes).

I used Us-05 in one half and WLP060 in the other half. Fermentation is slowing down now so I am soliciting opinions on how to dry hop. I will use 1oz of centennial in one carboy (the US-05) and 1oz Columbus in the other carboy. I want to see how these two come out differently when used for dry hopping. I am planning to use a complimentary hop with each. I am thinking about using the same hop with both but am open to using differently complimentary hops with each.
I have Azacca, Topaz, Willamette, Mt. Hood, EKG, and Hersbrucker available. What would you recommend? I was considering Azacca with the Centennial and either Topaz or Willamette with the Columbus. Should I go with this or do something different.
Sorry for the long thread and thank you for any advice.

I would stick with the hops that are from the same family. Also keep in mind using 2 different yeast will add different aromas.

So I paired 1oz of Columbus with .5oz EKG in the WLP060 batch, and 1oz Centennial with .5oz Azacca in the US-05 batch. I will have to wait and see how things work out. Both smelled good 12 hours after the hops went in.

Back