Dry hopping advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
So I am about 2 weeks into my fermentation of a Coopers Lager. I was wondering if I should dry hop in my primary or secondary? I am going to be using dry hop pellets. I was thinking about doing it in the primary so I can later transfer to a secondary in hopes to clear up all the crud from my primary including the residuals from the dry hopping. If I do it in the primary when should I do it. Secondly how long should I dry hop in the primary before I transfer to secondary? Thanks for the help guys! :mug:

Dry hop in your secondary. Any hop sediment will readily fall the to bottom. Kegs are great for secondary. Easy to get the hop bag in and out, plus the electrostatic charge of stainless steel will pull yeast and proteins to its surface.

If you can, dedicate a keg as a secondary. Then trim the pick up tube an inch shorter. This will keep hops, yeast, and sludge from being grabbed when you pour or bottle.

Dry hopping is usually done immediately before bottling. You can dry hop in the Primary or Secondary, and then go straight to the bottle.

You need to do a little research and decide what the right dry hop time is for you. Me, I leave them in for 2 weeks, but some people say that is too long. I've not had any issues with 2 weeks. I find pellets drop around 10 days, and when I rack into the bottling bucket, only a couple of 'bits' get into it. These 'bits' typically end up in the last bottle to be filled, which I mark and open first.

Back