Dry hopping a pilsner with centennial - bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavyfoot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a Continental Pilsner made from a Festa Brew kit in my primary right now. Was considering dry hopping it with a bit of centennial. I just took a gravity sample and had a little taste and it tastes pretty much like a Czech Pilsner. I'm not so worried about keeping it within the style, but would this be a bad flavour clash?

If it's not a bad idea, how much should I throw in?

it will def take it out of style - centennial could dominate the flavor profile which may or may not be a pad thing dep on your tastes

i have a rye apa that I finish with centennial and saaz - really tasty but the cent. def dominates

1oz would prob be sufficient if you decide to dryhop

terrapinj said:
it will def take it out of style - centennial could dominate the flavor profile which may or may not be a pad thing dep on your tastes

i have a rye apa that I finish with centennial and saaz - really tasty but the cent. def dominates

Do the centennial and saaz hops complement each other well in your rye apa?

I've found that US Perle (originally German hop) plays very well with Czech Saaz. I used them as late additions in my Sunset Gold APA.

No! don't do 1 oz Centennial you will ruin the beer. Centennial is such a powerful hop. If anything 0.3-0.5 oz max for such a light style. I dryhopped a 8.5% Maibock with 0.9 oz of mix Simcoe, Amarillo and Cent and flavor profile changed quite a bit. I didn't like it, it was grassy, rasiny and plumy, just weird. I think I dry hopped Pilsner once with 0.5 oz of Saaz to cover up little diacetyl showed up in a beer. It was ok. Don't over do it.

Do the centennial and saaz hops complement each other well in your rye apa?

yeah - i just did a second version of it and the saaz is much more noticeable before the dry hop

the above poster is prob right that 1oz of centennial will quickly dominate the flavor profile - whether or not it ruins the beer is your call

Thanks for the input guys. Decided to just leave it be.

The kit came with a fermentis lager yeast and all I have is a swamp cooler so it's fermenting a bit high.

Thought dry hopping might help cover up any off flavours but I only have centennial in the freezer right now and don't think I want to use it if it's going to dominate the flavour that much.

Back