Dry Hopping a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
I have a Noble Pils clone in primary currently and am about to finish my D-rest. I have plans of lagering for 4 - 5 weeks and would also like to dry hop with each of the noble hop pellets. What is the best way to dry hop a lager without causing clouding/hazing issues. I do keg, so I could rack to keg on top of the hops and just let it lager for the 4 or 5 weeks in the keg. I really appreciate a crystal clear, hoppy lager.
All opinions welcomed.

I'd probably dry hop it when you warm it up for the diacetyl rest. I try to dry hop warm to help blow off some of grassy flavors and aromas. Then after the diacetyl rest, I'd put it back in the fridge and drop it down to lagering temperatures. This should hopefully drop the bulk of the hop material and any yeast that is still in suspension. If it's not clear at that point, I'd add gelatin to drop it out more. The only issue I see with dry hopping a lager is that if you wait for over a month, you'll be missing out on a month's worth of fresh, dry hoppy goodness. I really like a bold, hoppy Pilsner (like Victory Prima Pils), so I'd like to figure out a way to speed things along so I'm drinking it before the hops start to drop off.

So I don't have an answer for you but I am waiting for more opinions on this as I tried dry hopping a czech pils 3 weeks into lagering(3 weeks after the diacetyl rest) and it sill pours cloudy. Going to have to use gelatin. A chill haze formed that wasn't there before the dry hop.

I have dryhopped a pilsner before. I just put the hops in a muslin bag and into the keg it went. After gelatin the beer poured clear. And it was delicious.

I have dryhopped a pilsner before. I just put the hops in a muslin bag and into the keg it went. After gelatin the beer poured clear. And it was delicious.

This is the experiences I'm looking for. When you kegged you added the hops. What about the gelatin? My plan is for 6 to 8 ounces in the keg in a paint strainer bag with a few marbles in the bag and hang it just above the bottom. I'm using all the nobles with 1 ounce each of Hallertauer Hersbrucker, Hallertauer Mittlefrueh, Spalter, with Saaz and Tettnang having 3 and 2 ounces respectively. The Tettnang is actually leaf hops.

I did an IPL that I dryhopped in the primary for a week and D-rested for 3 days afterwards. Then I racked into a keg with dryhops in a muslin bag preflushed with C02. Believe it or not I left it on the hops at lager temps for almost a month. I racked from that keg to one without the hops and lagered another 2 weeks, and drank it over the next month. The hop aroma NEVER went away and it was perfectly clear. Time heals all haze, even chill haze.

I racked from that keg to one without the hops and lagered another 2 weeks, and drank it over the next month. The hop aroma NEVER went away and it was perfectly clear. Time heals all haze, even chill haze.

When you racked the beer the second time did you have haze and two weeks cleared it or was there no haze at racking?

Latest posts

Back