Dry Hopping 1/2 batch of Porter - How much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotsoncs

Reaction score
I brewed an entire 5 gallon batch of Porter but as this is only my second batch of beer want to do some experimentation with dry hopping. I picked up 2 three gallon carboys and plan to split the batch. In one I'd like to leave it alone and the other I'd like to dry hop with Fuggles.

I have a standard 1 oz package and was curious as to how much to use. Any suggestions?

Put exactly 0 in. You don't really want a Porter to smell hoppy. You'd be better off making a Pale Ale or an IPA and dry hopping that.

+1 for sure. You have a good concept and will benifit much from that type of experimentation but in a porter most of your addition will be lost. You can still do it to see the results and also to see how much difference it doesn't....or does make in a porter....have fun with it!!

Oh I'm going to do it. And for exactly the reason that I shouldn't I suppose. :rockin:

I've read a few threads from this forum on folks doing just that and having it turn out well. The worst that could happen is I'm out $1.50 in hops and have an odd-styled beer. Best case is I find something unique that I enjoy. :)

Original question still stands though; any reason not to use the whole 1 oz?

Oh I'm going to do it. And for exactly the reason that I shouldn't I suppose. :rockin:

I've read a few threads from this forum on folks doing just that and having it turn out well. The worst that could happen is I'm out $1.50 in hops and have an odd-styled beer. Best case is I find something unique that I enjoy. :)

Original question still stands though; any reason not to use the whole 1 oz?

Sure there is a reason not to use the whole ounce of the hops. It's 75 cents and you may not like the aroma. However, these days 75 cents doesn't buy you much and you may really like how it turns out. I'm a gambler of this sort so I'd try it. You might decide to dump the half batch of beer but I doubt it.

Back