Dry hopped before I pitched yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
Yesterday was an exhaustive brewing experience. Spent about 12 hours making multiple brews. I juat realized that the last batch we made, ,which is a belgian ipa, we put the dry hops at the bottom of the fermenter, poured the beer over it and then added the yeast. Any idea of what this will do to the beer?

It will add some hop flavor but not nearly as much as proper dry hopping after fermentation. I would get some more of the same hops and use maybe 3/4 or so for dry hopping about 1 week before you plan to bottle.

The fermentation and flocculation will most likely pull all those hop oil aromas out of the beer and into the trub, I would dry hop again after fermentation is complete

I agree with the two above posts. I don't think it will hurt anything (possibly some vegetal notes depending on how much was added), but all of the nice aromas that dry hopping provides will be mostly scrubbed out by fermentation.

Back